Friday, May 12, 2017

Listening

Listening
I went to bed worrying about something on the news last night and a lack of information. I awoke to hear the worst news about what I had feared when I went to bed. Two people who had influenced the lives of my family are no longer with us today and many questions are yet to be answered. I ask you be in prayer for this situation and to lift it and the family up in prayer.

I have been asked how do people without faith handle certain situations like the loss of a loved one and to be honest I have no answer to that question. But I do know that how we as Christians respond makes a difference in the people we minister to during these times. The directions we receive from scripture are found in the book of James.

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. (James 1:19-20 NIV)

To me it is pretty straight forward God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason so we could listen more and talk less. That is the advice we are given as Christians who are coming along the side non-believers and believers in a time of loss of loved ones or any other struggle they might be facing in life.

As Christians our best response is not to quote scripture or tell them it is all right but to sit quietly doing whatever is asked of us. From my own experience you will not remember what people say unless you are offended by it or it is totally stupid. But you will remember those people who were by your side through it all. Not judging you or the situation but providing to you the love, grace and mercy of God as it has been measured out to them from Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

I challenge you today to live your life listening first. You might be surprised what you hear that makes your response different than it would have been originally. Have a Blessed day as you walk in the light of the God’s Word. Rev Brian Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment