Friday, May 26, 2017

Life and Death Promises that are True

Death and life are in the power of the tongue … (Proverbs 18:21 NKJ)

Life and Death Promises that are True
The words we speak are very powerful. They can effect our environment, they can alter our surroundings.

In Genesis we are told we are made in God’s image. How did God create? “In the beginning God said …” Everything we came into existence because of God’s word. He spoke creation into being. Just like God had the power to speak the whole of creation into existence, likewise He created us in His image and with that has come a “power” in our words.

This verse from Proverbs tells us we have the power of life and death in our words. We can choose to speak uplifting, edifying, life-giving words to those in our lives. Or we can tear down and beat others in with what we speak.

I have experienced both realities in my own life. Many times, when I’ve been anxious or stressed, I have resorted to speaking words of death my family. “Hurry up, get that math problem done. Are you stupid?” All these words I have spoken in my selfish flesh nature have effected those receiving them; not only that but they have effected me too. I hate every time I speak something to bring sadness or sorrow to not only someone I love, but anyone.

On the other hand, I have witnessed the difference when I speak words of life into those around me. “Wow, you’ve done a great job!” or “Let me see if I can help you with that problem.” These kind words causes the recipients face to light up. They produce a feeling in their heart of love and acceptance. They also make me feel really good inside knowing I am not wearing down someone’s emotions, but rather sowing seeds of peace, love, and joy! I have also seen how just a few simple kind words to strangers makes their day!

Today, remember you have the power of life and death in the words you choose to speak. Marriages, relationships, and working environments can and have been changed by simply changing the words we say to those around us. Today, let’s choose to speak the words that God would have us say, let’s choose to build up others! Let’s speak words of life!

Meditate on the things of God! Tracy Finney

No comments:

Post a Comment