Friday, January 22, 2016

Doing What We Don’t Like Doing

Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. (Genesis 5:24 NAS)

Doing What We Don't Like Doing
One of the resolutions I have made for this year is not to be afraid to do things I do not like doing.

Over the years of working life, I have been very selective of the kind of jobs I do. This is because I believe that unless I am doing what I like doing and have been blessed with the relevant skills and talent that are God-given, I would never be really happy.

So when I was laid off from a writer's job by a corporation a few years ago, I sought to find another writing job as I believed that my interest in writing was the God-given talent He had meant for me to pursue. The wait, however, proved to be too long to keep my loved ones going, hence, without a choice I took on the only door opened for me during then of a contract job with a non-profit organization.

The job turned out to be more challenging than expected because I have to do beyond the scope of the designated position, project management and budget planning which are areas I do not particularly like. This has caused increased stress not only for me but also for my family. Nevertheless, I continued with the organization following the direction I believe is God-led, and after a year, I was signed-on to a permanent position.

Now, with the demands of the job increasing by the day, I am left with little time to do what I really like—writing. Nevertheless, my desire and resolution is to walk with God and be found willing to do, beyond the things that I like, what God wants me to do.

Perhaps, like me, some of us are presently doing whatever we can to make a living. We may not be liking our job or doing what we like. But are we willing to still work at it with all our heart as working for the Lord and not for human masters? 

Enoch walked with God and was reckoned for his faith as one who pleased God. Like him, are we resolute in pleasing God and making God’s will our will? Are we willing to give our best in whatever we do at wherever we are placed? Whether at work or in the church, it is the Lord Christ whom we serve, and it is from Him we will receive an inheritance as a reward. (Genesis 5:24; Hebrews 11:5; Colossians 3:23-24)

Dear Lord, grant us a willing heart to make Your will our will, even if it means to leave our comfort zone to do what You would have us do. We know where You place us, You will also accompany us and give us the ability and the strength. Your love assures us Your will is the best for us, and to please You is our pleasure and our joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment