Friday, May 8, 2020

Rest in His Favor

Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? (Matthew 6:26 NKJ)

Livelihood is a concern for many, especially for those who are struggling to make ends meet. Whether we have enough to eat, drink or wear are matters of genuine concern. Even if we know life is more than just food and clothing, we cannot help but to sometimes worry about our next meal or how we can have enough to feed ourselves and the people under our care.

Some years ago, I was met with the situation of hitting rock bottom, unable to provide for myself and my dependents. When I cried out to the Lord, He heard me and answered my prayer. Amid seeking and waiting for a job, He led me to opportunities for freelancing, which sufficiently tied me and my family through for a period before I finally landed on a God-given job. God-given because it met every aspect of my request in prayer—a perfect fit.

This is why in Matthew 6:25-33, Jesus said to us not to be worried about our life; what we will eat, drink or wear. The birds do not plant or harvest or store food in barns, yet our heavenly Father feeds them. Are we not far more valuable to Him than them? Which of us by worrying can add a cubit to our stature? If God cares even for wildflowers, will He not care for us much more?

Even when we hear bad news suggesting a year or two of downturn, we need not have to worry, because as children of God, we are favored by Him, and need not walk according to the world’s economy. Because of Jesus’ finished work at the cross, we are now qualified to receive His unmerited favor of blessings. Rather than worry extensively or do many things to try and remedy the situation, let us rest in the Lord, because when we rest, God works; when we work and attempt to solve our own problems by our own effort, God rests.

Therefore, do not worry because God knows our needs. He cares for us and will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).

No comments:

Post a Comment