Friday, August 17, 2018

Making Plans

Making Plans
How often have you decided that you just had to do or have something only to realize after you have done it or bought it that you made a mistake and that if you had taken just a little while longer and maybe listened to those around you who had already tried it or owned it you could have saved yourself a lot of time, money or suffering. I was reading this week in the book of Isaiah when I came across this passage that has been on my mind ever since. It is found in Isaiah 30:1;
1 “Ah, stubborn children,” declares the Lord, “who carry out a plan, but not mine, and who make an alliance, but not of my Spirit, that they may add sin to sin; (ESV) 

When I first read it I began to think about all the choices I have made personally that have ended with if not bad results questionable ones at the least. I have looked at them thinking what could I have done differently that would have added benefit to my life and the lives of those around me and now I can tell you I was consulting the wrong source for guidance in my decision making process. In Luke 14:28 the words of Jesus are recorded: 
28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? (ESV) 

We often think about what it will cost us when we are making plans. It's vacation time and everyone I know is preparing to go and do something this summer. One of the key issues that they will be thinking about is how much money do they have to do it with. It is for most people the deciding factor for what they will do and where they will go. However, I have a question what if there was a better source available to us by which to make decisions and it allowed us to enquire of the creator what he desired for us. Luckily we have such a resource as this.We read in John 14 about a promise from Jesus that we all need to look at and understand. 
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, John 14:15-16 (ESV)

When Jesus ascended into heaven he provided us with a Helper, and it is not just any helper. He has all the wisdom, power, understanding and glory of God and dwells within every believer in Christ Jesus. The real question is are we listening to Him when we make our plans and I mean not just long term but even this morning have you asked God what He desires for you to do today or have you already established your plan. It’s easy to get up and think over all that we might have to get done today but is any of it really what God has created you for. You see that is one of the reasons so many people are unhappy in their lives they are pursuing their plans and not God’s not to say that were you are and what you’re doing is not part of His plan for your life but are you doing it in a fashion that brings Him glory or is it all about you? 

One last point as you are planning the future Jesus provided a warning in Luke 12:13-21: 
16 And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17 and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18 And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21 So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.” (ESV) 

Not to say that having possessions is bad; trust me I have more than I will ever use. However the making of plans that are self-centered and without consultation from the Holy Spirit will leave us wondering why in the end. I pray that as you start today you take a few minutes to ask the Helper for guidance about your day. Pick up your Bible and dust it off; get to know the Creator better so you can see His will for your life and begin walking in the Light of His Word. Rev Brian Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment