Friday, September 22, 2017

Living for Tomorrow

Living for Tomorrow
At one point in my life I was an alcoholic. I was surrounded by individuals who required drinking as part of the organization and if you did not drink you were quickly replaced because there was a lack of trust in you as an individual. It was so bad that one time, we got in trouble for alcohol related issues and fifteen people had to start AA. Yes I was one of the lucky ones who got to experience that. Now I have no fight with individuals who drink; I personally believe that a little wine or moonshine at the right times provides medicinal relief for certain ailments, Paul even instructs Timothy to take some for his stomach problems. The reason I shared that was this morning I was studying and as I was reading Proverb 31:4-7 (ESV) it is advice from King Lemuel’s mother and it reads,
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink, 5 lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the rights of all the afflicted. 6 Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; 7 let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

You know throughout scripture; starting in the Old Testament with Daniel in Daniel 7 that we will rein and rule over all the earth. Again Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:2 and Jesus in Mathew 19:28 that one day we will rule alongside of Him. We will be judges and rulers over the entire world even judging the angels.

You might wonder what the point of this is. It’s not to bash someone who drinks but it’s to point out a simple fact that I have recently come to understand. If you desire certain things in your life you have to live and act like you really want it. Case in point I desire to serve as a chaplain and I need to lose weight to do that; but to be honest I need to lose weight, whether I ever get to serve as a chaplain or not. The bottom line is I must live the life I desire in preparation for the life that is yet to come. I hope that makes sense.

It’s not just about drinking or tobacco or any other point you might want to argue over that someone might call or consider a sin, but every area of our Christian walk. Do we want to see God move in our worship services? Than do we worship Him in our private time? Do we want to see Him answer our prayers and bring healing to the sick? Than do we pray without ceasing? Do we believe He can provide for our every need or do we work ourselves to death trying to provide for our wants?

I ask you today, are you drinking in the world trying to satisfy your flesh; thinking you have reached your greatest potential or are you willing to slow down and focus on God and follow after His leadership allowing Him to prepare you for the best that He has to offer?

Have a blessed day as you walk in the light of His Word. —Rev Brian Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment