Friday, January 31, 2014

Living Humbly

I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. (Philippians 4:12 NAS)

Living Humbly
I used to live a life of plenty when I was working as a software support engineer until I was laid off because of corporate restructuring and had to move on to do something else. I learned then to live humbly, yet once in a while when I became too comfortable in a job, I was reminded of my dependency and had to go through times of waiting upon the Lord. On occasions, out of desperation for the livelihood of my loved ones and mine, I was tempted to go back to my old ways to work in jobs that were not entirely according to the will of God. I refrained, however, because I was constantly reminded of King Saul and the consequence he had to face, after he disobeyed God because he could not wait (1 Samuel 13:8-14).

Perhaps some of us are going through similar situations right now, desperately in need to make ends meet to provide for ourselves, our loved ones and dependents. We have waited for a long time and our prayers seem to be unanswered. We are tempted to give up, go back to our old ways, or go ahead without consulting or the blessing of the Lord. God is saying to us He knows the plans He has for us, plans to prosper us and not to harm us, plans to give us hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

As we do our part to look for the means to keep ourselves and our loved ones alive, let us also look beyond the mountains; for our help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth (Psalm 121:1-2). In the meantime, learn to get along with humble means and to comprehend the secret of being filled and going hungry in any and every circumstance (Philippians 4:12). Keep God’s word and do not deny His name, and God will open for us a door to meet all our needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19; Revelation 3:8).

Dear Lord, forgive us for the times we chose to get on ahead without consulting You or waiting for Your reply. Help us Lord not be tempted to return to our old ways during desperate times, but to push on in keeping Your word and not deny Your name. Keep us humble Lord to understand the secret of being filled and hungry in any and every circumstance. Open the door to the plan You have for us Lord that we might walk in Your will all the days of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment