Friday, October 26, 2012

Counting our Blessings

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD. (Job 1:21b NAS)

Count Your Blessings
I remember a time when I was without a job for five years, yet throughout that period of struggles and waiting, God never for once failed to sufficiently provide for me and my household. Whenever our finances reached near rock bottom, a freelance assignment or something else would come by to tie us through for that period.

When the time of waiting was over, God granted me six happy years of meaningful work in a job I like as a technical and corporate writer. Sadly, however, the job was taken away from me during a corporate restructuring last year and I was back in the mode of waiting and praying. Thankfully, God granted me another job after several months in a whole new role treading on unfamiliar grounds, though writing is still part of it. I cannot be sure whether this job is to tie me through on short term or intended for long term as it is in a small startup without any guarantee of success, but I trust in God.

During trying times such as mine, we often find it difficult to feel blessed. Yet when we reflect, we know without a doubt how blessed we have been even amid struggles. Blessedness is never about how we feel, but about the assurance of our complete trust in God—the confidence we have knowing that God is in control.

When Job of the Old Testament was told of the disasters that happened one after another—including the death of his sons and daughters—he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.” Through it all, Job did not sin nor blame God (Job 1:21-22).

What about us? Are we spending too much time complaining about the difficult times we are going through or are we counting our blessings? Are we blessing God for the many times He has taken care of us or questioning Him for events in our lives which seemingly were not to our favor or to our understanding? Are we thankful that God demonstrated His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8)?

What a blessed people we are to be counted worthy to receive God’s salvation! Let us therefore sing as Mary had sung:

“My soul exalts the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things for me; And holy is His name.” (Luke 1:46-49 NAS).

Like Job and Mary, let us bless the name of our Lord, for we are truly blessed.

Dear Lord, thank You for counting us worthy to receive Your salvation. We are so blessed O Lord because You have been mindful of us in good and bad times, and especially when in need. Help us Lord to be grateful to You forever, regardless of circumstances. We know Lord You are in control of all things and in You we put our complete trust and confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment