Friday, January 20, 2012

Waiting Calmly Amid Storm

I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. (Psalm 40:1 NLT)

Psalm 40:1-2 (NLT)Lately, I have been spending much time in the woods enjoying the peace and quiet—something I have always wanted to do on a regular basis, but couldn't find the time the past many years. The woods is where I find solace and tranquility before God my Creator as I commune with Him. My heart is at peace as I listen to the chirping sounds, watch the squirrels playfully running about, and breathe in the freshness of the air. This much needed break is made possible by God’s grace amid a time of waiting for a door to open to grant me the means to keep my family's livelihood going.

In such a circumstance, few of us would be able to keep calm, unless we have the peace of God in us. Without God’s peace, we would likely be feeling unease, worried, afraid or even crumble under much stress, just as Jesus’ disciples did in the face of the storm (Matthew 8:23-27). But like our Lord who was able to rest amid the storm, God has given me a peace that surpasses all understanding to guard my heart and mind in Him (Matthew 8:24; Philippians 4:7).

Whenever we are in a spirit of turmoil or facing surmounting stress, therefore, let us stay calm in the Lord and be like King David who said in Psalm 40 (NLT):

Psalm 40:1-2
I waited patiently for the LORD to help me,
and he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
and steadied me as I walked along.

Psalm 40:4-5
Oh, the joys of those who trust the LORD,
who have no confidence in the proud
or in those who worship idols.
O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us.
Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
You have no equal.

Psalm 40:8
I take joy in doing your will, my God,
for your instructions are written on my heart.

Psalm 40:13
Please, LORD, rescue me!
Come quickly, LORD, and help me.

The LORD is our shepherd; we shall not be in want. He lets us rest in green pastures, and leads us beside peaceful waters. He renews our strength and guides us along right paths, bringing honor to His own name (Psalm 23:1-3).

Let us therefore not be afraid even if we are to walk through the valley of the shadow of death, for God is with us. His rod and staff protect and comfort us. He prepares a feast for us in the presence of our enemies, and honors us by anointing our heads with oil. Our cup overflows with blessings. Surely our God’s goodness and unfailing love will lead us all the days of our lives, and we will live in the house of the LORD forever (Psalm 23:4-6).


Do not fret therefore in times of difficulties. Instead, look to God with expectancy, for what we do while waiting is important. If walking in the surroundings of nature or doing a certain thing we like helps us draw closer to or commune with God, let us make time to do this. All of us can experience the renewing of the spirit and receive peace beyond comprehension if like me we take time to come away and walk with God.

Dear Lord, help us to keep our calm in times of turmoil and storm. Teach us to patiently wait for Your help. Lift us out of despair Lord, and grant us Your peace that surpasses all understanding. Renew our minds and spirit, and set our feet on solid ground as we walk along. Come quickly O God and rescue us in our need. We put our complete trust in You O Lord, for we take joy in doing Your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment