Friday, November 18, 2011

Blogging for God

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. (Matthew 28:19-20 NAS)

BloggingWhen I first started a blog, it was not because I wanted to, but because I was assigned by my editor to write an article on blogging for an education magazine. Blogging was relatively new then—at least for the adults—and I was to interview several people to find out their thoughts on blogging.

Many of those I interviewed agreed that writing and publishing web pages had never been so easy before blogging took center stage. The task of web authoring which was previously only for the tech-savvy, today is no longer difficult even for a beginner.

"Just knowing the basics of using a mouse to navigate on a web page is all that is needed to use blogs," said a high school teacher. "The rest is a matter of trying things out."

A number of people gave their reason for blogging as wanting to make friends who share similar interests, while some said they blog to de-stress or fight for a cause.

"I blog because people can get to know me," said one. "I have met so many new people through blogging—nice people who have no ill intentions, do not pressure me into meeting them or go out with them. [They] … read my stuff and e-mail me words of encouragement, share with me their personal experiences, and offer me friendship with no strings attached."

Almost all who were interviewed agreed that as a medium, blogging is convenient and efficient in recording thoughts and feelings; a way to express one's joy and peace, share problems and issues, and participate in intellectual exchange.

"[Blogging] helps a lot if I feel burdened by something and need to offload it," said the high school teacher. "I find I work more efficiently after I’ve set myself back in focus and be on task."

What about negative aspects of blogging?

"Of course, we run the risk of facing ridicule and criticism from people posting their comments," said an ardent blogger. "But we can deal with it."

I agree with the interviewees. Like the high school teacher, I frequently offload my burdens writing on my blog. Many people get to know me and my innermost thoughts because I blog. My life is an open book, found within the pages of my devotional writings. Blogging is my way of serving God and His people, a medium of choice to reach out to the masses in the world. I am a missionary at heart without the travel. With my Christian blog linked to the social media communities like Facebook, Twitter, and other sites, every blog entry I post gets to reach out to the masses and the targeted people for the Lord.

Of course, once in a while, I would receive some argumentative or negative comments at my blog. But by the grace of God through the guidance of the Holy Spirit in the wisdom of our Lord, those were dealt with without quarrel or hurtful feelings.

What about the rest of us? What do we do with our blogs? Do we turn them into avenues by which we serve God, His people, and the people who are yet unsaved? The Great Commission calls for us to make disciples of all the nations (Matthew 28:19-20). What better way for us to reach the masses than by blogging and sharing our thoughts, testimonies, devotionals, and other Christian writings, to make disciples and win souls into the Kingdom of God?

Join therefore with others in following my example and be imitators of me. Observe the things you have learned, received, and heard from me or seen in me, and in those who serve the Lord. Practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you (1 Corinthians 4:16; Philippians 3:17; 4:9).

Thank You, dear Lord, for giving us blogs to share our thoughts, testimonies, devotionals, and other Christian writings, to win souls for the Kingdom and make disciples of all the nations. Grant us wisdom Lord to know how to fully utilize online tools, such as blogs, to offload our burdens, and let people know us in ways that draw them to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment