Friday, April 1, 2011

Facing the Enemies

so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" (Hebrews 13:6 NAS)

Psalm 42:11Not too long ago, I woke up one morning feeling depressed over the situation happening at my workplace. Ever since the team I have been working in was absorbed into another department of the organization, I have been getting such dispirited moods frequently.

The department I am now working in is headed by a lady who believes only in top-down management. She is a practitioner of everything that is typically taught in management studies about using negative motivational tactics to get staff working in fear, following a bureaucratic and hierarchical structure. Her disposition and personality is generally fierce, and she constantly breathes down the necks of her staff every weekly department meeting. Words from her are like fire—hot and fiery, and like storm—cold and harsh, filled full with regular reprimands. The way her staff is handled is similar to the way elementary school teachers control the kids. It is as if every of the staff owes her a living, and any difference in opinions finds trouble for oneself. Few are willing to put their jobs on the line in begging to differ or practice freedom of choice or speech.

Such is the kind of depressive working environment and low morale I go through these days, which similar feelings have once faded from my past, many years ago. None of such negative feelings existed when I began working in this organization some six years ago. Things have been fairly well with everyone doing their part as a team, working with each other to resolve issues rather than being driven from top-down.

What first came to mind when I woke up that morning was the urgent need to calm down and seek God. I knew in my heart then there was a Bible verse that expresses well how I felt and therefore desperately searched for it, seeking to calm myself as I cried out to God. I knew I was already late for work, but felt the need to read the verse, and I eventually found it.


Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence. (Psalm 42:5 NAS)

Wanting to know more about the cicumstances in which the psalmist cried out, I decided to read the entire Psalm 42 and realized verse 11 ended on a similar note as verse 5 with a difference.

Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God. (Psalm 42:11 NAS)

In verse 5, the psalmist cried out in his despair. In verses 6 to 10, the psalmist poured out his heart and talked to God about his sufferings, oppression and adversaries. In verse 11, he acknowledged God's supremacy once again and said he shall yet praise God, despite his circumstances.

Like the psalmist, I cried out to God in my desperation, and in Him I found relieve. For even though I walk through the darkest valley, I need not fear, because God is with me; His Spirit comforts me and calms my soul (Psalm 23:4-5). I will surely again praise Him and continue to hope in Him, for He is my help (Psalm 42:5, 11). I will not cease to call upon the Lord and seek His face in my time of difficulty.

Perhaps some of us, like me, may be facing some difficult situations now, and are feeling stressed and desperate. It may be a matter relating to a situation at the workplace or at home, or some difficulties we face working with or for a person. Regardless the matter or situation, we need not despair or be afraid, for the Lord is our helper; what can man do to us with God on our side (Hebrews 13:6)? What situation can we not face if it is permitted by God?

How then should we respond in the face of our enemies or in times of desperation? Do we, like Elijah who ran away from Jezebel (1 Kings 19:1-8), run away from our enemies and difficulties, or do we cry out to God and seek His face? Let us choose first to seek God to calm our souls. Let us also hope in Him and not be distrubed within us. Praise Him, for He is our Savior and our God; in Him we can confidently say, "the Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid" (Psalm 118:6-7; Hebrews 13:6). As for those of us who are bosses, employers or supervisors, let us not intimidate our workers. Instead, let us give up threatening, knowing that we have a God in heaven and there is no partiality with Him (Ephesians 6:9).

Help us in our times of desperation, Lord, and do not turn Your face away from us! We need You desperately Lord, for without You, we can do nothing and are in despair. See us through every difficult situation Lord as we continue to praise You. Grant us confidence in the face of our enemies Lord, that we will not be afraid, for You O God are our helper.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Edmond. Its encouraging to know that we can cry out to God and seek His face in adverse situations. I like your attitude of putting God first and let the rest of the situation be taken into control by the living God. He will vindicate speedily as we learn to trust in His goodness. May the Lord be your helper. - Deline

    ReplyDelete