Friday, May 1, 2020

Self-Doubt

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 NKJ)

For many years, my work at a corporation had been highly valued. After the team of people I worked with was absorbed into another department, however, things became seemingly difficult with the change in culture under a new boss and a new supervisor. It took me several months ironing out conflicts and differences adjusting from a team working environment to top-down management. Before long, I became greatly distressed and began questioning my own self-worth and values. I failed to realize then that it was God’s plan leading me to something better.

Questioning our own worth when we feel inadequate or when in self-doubt is not uncommon. Moses, when he was called by God to deliver His people out of Egypt, said, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” (Exodus 3:11) Solomon, when he was crowned king, prayed, “Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.” (1 Kings 3:7) When told to deliver Israel from the hands of the Midianites, Gideon said, “O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.” (Judges 6:15)

Thankfully for all of them, they eventually became overcomers, not because of their abilities, but because they came to realize their lack and weakness. That qualified them for God’s unmerited favor.  It is when we come to realize we cannot but God can, that God says to us, His grace is sufficient for us and His strength is made perfect in our weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Rather than measuring our worth based on the words of people or on the things of this world, let’s lay for ourselves a sure foundation on the Lord’s unchanging love for us. Even if for our entire life we have not had anyone affirmed our value, we need not feel insecure because in the eyes of God, we are worth more than we can ever imagine for Him to sacrifice the life of His Son to save us.


No comments:

Post a Comment