Friday, March 13, 2015

God in a Box

My thoughts are completely different from yours … And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. (Isaiah 55:8 NLT)

God in a Box
Amos wasn’t happy but my daughter was. I guess I wouldn’t be happy either if someone boxed me up and took me from my familiar surroundings. But such is the life of a pet hamster.

Amos made his disgust known as soon as we got in the car. As my daughter held the box, a hole appeared and then teeth. Amos was on a mission to escape. He was so intentional I had to stop the car, put his cage together and insert him in it.

Amos wasn’t a fan of boxes. God isn’t either. God states his thoughts and ways are far beyond our imagination. To paraphrase, Don’t try and figure me out. The only certainty is that God will act according to his nature of love and holiness. Beyond that, we can’t hem him in. He will escape every time.

Amos and God remind me of the vintage child’s toy, Jack In The Box. Jack was in a metal box waiting for a handle to be cranked. Turning the handle made Jack pop out. Just when I thought I had him pegged, he would pop out unexpectedly.

God does the same. We build up philosophies of how we think God should or will act and he surprises us by doing something totally different. He answers a prayer unlike we want or think he should. I pray for instant healing. He lets the illness hang on a few days. I pray for extra money and expect help momentarily. God gives me time to consider decisions I’ve made and to let my faith increase.

God is a God of surprises who will not be boxed in. He will, however, always act in our best interest whether his answer makes sense to us or not. Martin Wiles

God, enable me to let You be God. Help me be still and know that You love me and will care for my needs in ways that will amaze me and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment